Sunday, June 06, 2010

Things That I Have Learned

Belated Post

June 6, 2010

All the meals have been provided up to this point for the two or so days that we have been there, so I don't know anything about cooking or buying food, but I do know now how to wash my clothes using only the bucket and bar of soap method. Seems a bit more time consuming that way was my first observation. Roughly ten minutes to get one pair of pants sufficiently (but not perfectly) clean. The drying part is self-explanatory, the sun does that nicely. And of course the bucket is useful in that one can take a sufficient bath in it. We have shower heads here but I felt I should do the experiment of my first bath with a bucket yesterday, our first full day in Ghana. It was nice actually, and the water was not cold nor warm, just the temperature of a pool in July I bet.

On the other end of the spectrum is learning the language. It was a bit overwhelming to begin with. The trip to the market wasn't helpful, I felt like a fish out of water. A fish out of water with a lot of onlookers witnessing the episode. After returning back it was brought to my attention that I would likely never see these people again, and that making mistakes was part of the process. So pride took its toll on my first day out. We were there for about an hour, and the food looked really good save for the dried fish that had flies hovering all about. Heck, I'd eat them anyway but they just don't have that much visual appeal.

Today (it was June 6th, Sunday) has seen a few more lessons on safety, some concerns
 on security, and all in all, be aware of who you are and where you are while on duty. That concept of being a representative of the states all day every day was drilled home.

Oh, and I can't ride a motorcycle unless it is life and death. That waits until I get back to America I suppose.

Really, I am not for wanting of anything right now. It is warm, but so what, you sweat and drink water and survive. Let's see if I am saying that 10 months from now.

No comments: