Monday, June 14, 2010

My First Internet Cafe

Everything considered, it was a nice break to head out to school today and get some classroom preparation done, and then move to the next best thing since sliced bread: the internet.  I had about half an hour to plop a few posts on the blog here, and then this quick message. My host family is tremendous and at times I feel like a king when I walk around. I know that won't last long.

There is now a cellular phone on my person, but calls to the states can get a bit pricey to and fro, so I have been limited on who or when I can call up people. Needless to say, there are certain things that one can get access to while still removed from the modern society.

My best description of the towns that we find ourselves in (the larger group of 70 has been split up several different ways now) is that they make do with what they have. In terms of buildings and technology, they adjust to what is present. In terms of fun and humor, they lack none of what I had in the states. Maybe they even have more, I don't know.

Yet for all of that, here are a few things I can live without. A bathroom that has a roof. My shower and urinary moments are inside a four foot tall concrete enclosure. The outhouse is as nice as can be expected. The food, that is just awesome and plentiful. I could not ask for more and quite frankly I had to ask for less food for meals since I would return the family more then half the plate. Culturally the guest must eat by themselves as a sign of respect for the guest, so I have been eating my food on a table one foot or so high and a chair just slightly shorter. It is different, but that is exactly what I signed up for.

I won't reveal names of the family on the blog, but the town is close to New Tafo. Soon we will be practicing our teaching and then in July our education group goes on VisionQuest so we get to run about the country and have some fun finding other volunteers.

Good times so far, and plenty more to come. Provided I find these cafes close to where I work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! So great to hear the details of your experience. Keep it coming! Also - send me your cell number. I can call from Skype. Keep enjoying yourself and remember that you've only been there a short while. The Twi will come. Don't beat yourself up over it!

thiel said...

Sounds fantastic! Can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Dave! This is so so exciting to read. I sat down today and read all your blogs from most recent to least! It was fun reading them backward. As I have a vivid imagination I can really "see" your surrounding by your discriptions. I just love it. So happy that you are now settled in with your host family and are beginning to use Twi more. Very, very cool. Enjoy and I look forward to reading more. One more thing.....are you able to follow the World Cup Soccer? Ghana is in the same pairing as Australia and they are playing on Saturday. We will miss the game as we have a hores event. Just wonder if there are soccer fans in your immediate group of family and friends?
Take care,
Tee

kris said...

I finally had time to catch up. Keep listening, and you'll pick up the language, especially since you're surrounded by it now. Check into Skype for calls- you can call a land line with it, even with dial-up connection (although the quality is a bit rough). It's way cheaper than Have a GREAT time. - peace. Kristen

GFan1701 said...

I'm really enjoying your posts Dave, this is great! I'm so glad you are able to give us a peak into your world. Oh YeAh!!