Tuesday, November 16, 2010

You Have Eid al-Adha Off

The Muslim community in this area is not a majority but I don't have the statistics to say that they represent 2%, 10%, or 30%. It wouldn't matter if they were 0.003%, they would still enjoy the day off from work or school as the entire country has a holiday. 

I didn't know that I would not be teaching classes today and had I known that the entire school was off, I would have asked my classes if they would be interested in using the day to make up some of our classes. Then again, if they were Muslim they may have objected anyway.

It is a minor irritant that I don't get the information about such things. All Saints' Day came as a surprise but like today it may have been mentioned to me and I just did not understand that it meant no school for me and the students. I learned of this holiday yesterday in fact, but I was not understanding that it was a day off for everyone. You live and learn I guess.

Speaking of learning, I did not know what the celebration was marking so I did a bit of research at Wikipedia. It would appear to be a happy holiday where one rejoices that Abraham didn't have to kill Ishmael. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that there won't be decorations in the homes displaying swords and chopping blocks, but I could be wrong on that one. My plans are now to go out and do some shopping and stock up on a few items in the kitchen.

Happy Eid al-Adha to you all!

No comments: