Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Last Day In Ghana

This is it.

My service is up as of the afternoon of March 21st, 2012. I am still in Accra as I type this up sitting in the computer room at the Peace Corps headquarters (with the air conditioning on at full throttle and aimed directly at me), but I am leaving for good come this evening. What one goes through at an early termination (ET) is practically the same as what one goes through for their close of service (COS), just at an earlier date which meant there was no expedited service for the process - you still must take a few days to move through the proper administrative channels and get your medical clearance, but the whole affair will take at least two days and most likely three.

Three days is a lot of time to have boring details, so we will just skip that part.

But it has been enough time here to capture glimpses of the time. The people that I have gotten to know really well, the ones who have spent a great of time helping adjust and make a happy life among the different surroundings, it all comes back. There are great times here and then are some times when you would look at the calendar and scratch your head and say, "How long do I have left again?" Most days were ok though and that was in large part to communication with loved ones back home and friends right here in Ghana. I could always count on some support from the far corners of the earth as well as right next door.

I am sure that with further reflection, I can wrap my head around the adventure. It was a wonderful experience and I will state as unequivocal fact that Ghanaians are the friendliest people that I have ever met, and I would love to return years down the line. I would really have to persuade my wife though, so it may be many many years down the line.

The final act of service by the way here in Ghana is handing over your Peace Corps identification card so that they can punch a hole in it. I think with that, you're finished. I am eager to return to get married, and I am going to say goodbye for a little while. It has been a great part of my life and I am happy and I get to add to the story by doing something wonderful now in the U.S.!

No comments: