Saturday, July 23, 2005

Brief Introduction

Please excuse the clutter and dust, this is my first attempt at a web log entry. Only ten years on the web and just now catching up with the times.

The title for this, "Malice Towards None" is obviously taken from Abraham Lincoln's second inaugural addresss, the last paragraph reading as:

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."


As a person who enjoys reading about U.S. Presidential history, I had the wonderful opportunity to read the six volume Lincoln biography by Carl Sandburg, The Prairie Years and the War Years. It had a very profound effect on how I would view every citizen both public and private based on Lincoln's life. The pinnacle of his presidency in my view was that address, and that line above. For a man who had been through so much to seek no vengence is the epitome of being a just human.

I hope that this area gives me the opportunity to explore my own thoughts on subjects here and there. If no one reads it, that is alright; I'll feel better for having written it just the same. If it appears that I indeed have malice towards one, I'll have to return to my first post and re-learn a thing or two from a great American.

No comments: